We find ourselves in very challenging times as we put in place plans to keep the people who use our services, those most vulnerable in society, who are in a high risk and vulnerable group regarding the impact of Covid-19 (Coronavirus)
We already have incurred additional costs in order to make some changes to our services, we expect there to considerably more as our Volunteers-isolate, to protect themselves, their families and the people who use our services. The additional costs of maintaining access to a WC, a shower, change of clothes, a hot meal, primary healthcare and appropriate support into suitable accommodation are immeasurable.
Please help us! We cannot do what we do without you!
Here is how you can help our Belfast and Lisburn’s homeless community during the coronavirus outbreak
Hygiene packs for people who are homeless
We are looking to give personal-sized hygiene products to people who are homeless so that they can stay safe and can follow public health guidelines. We are currently accepting donations of:
- Wet wipes
- Hand sanitizers (60% alcohol if possible)
- Individual packs of tissues
Cleaning supplies for charities
We are having to more regularly deep clean in efforts to reduce the spread of any germs. This means their cleaning supply stocks are running low.
- Washing up gloves
- Blue medical gloves
- Blue roll / kitchen roll
- Toilet roll
- Disinfectant sprays
- Sponges / cloths / tea towels
- Mops and mop buckets
- Boxes of tissues
- Liquid hand soap (to be used for services who have access to hot water / sinks)
We have seen a reduction in food stocks and are having to find new ways of getting food to the people who need it most.
- Freezer food
- Non-perishable items (tins, dried pasta/rice, pot noodles, cuppa soups, bottled drinks, dried fruit, crisps, nuts, porridge sachets etc.)
- Tea, coffee, sugar
- Longlife milk or powdered milk
- Packed lunch items or food that can be taken away (e.g. fruit, individual wrapped products – crisps, chocolate bars, cereal bars, fruit bags, sandwiches etc.)
Other high-demand items
- Baby formula
- Strong paper bags of various sizes as Covid-19 can live on plastic for days
- Disposable cutlery (plates, knives, forks, spoons, napkins etc)
- Tech needs of remote workers (laptops/smartphones)
- Tech needs for people who are homeless (continuing to access support & alleviate boredom/social isolation)
We asked for financial support to meet current demands, to ensure that we can continue to help, and to get ready to re-open or move back to a full service. Financial donations both large and small are welcomed.
- Access to industrial washing and drying facilities
- Shared storage
- Transportation (car/van and drivers)
We continue to support people who are homeless and families in need throughout this crisis and we realise it’s a big ask.
If you can help in any of the above ways or perhaps you can think of other ways to help, please in the first instance contact firstname.lastname@example.org