Help if you’re on the streets: claim benefits

Belfast And Lisburn Community Project

You can still claim benefits if you’re sleeping on the streets or in a hostel, even if you don’t have a fixed address or a bank account.

If you don’t have a fixed address

You can usually claim certain benefits even if you don’t have a fixed address.

If you’re entitled to claim, you could use the address of a:

You may get less benefit if you have no accommodation at all and are sleeping on the streets.  

You can get help claiming benefits from some of your local Day Centre like the South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust and Belfast Health and Social Care Trust

If you’re from abroad you might not be entitled to claim benefits in the UK. Find out more from Citizens Advice about immigration restrictions when claiming benefits.

If you don’t have a bank account

If you don’t have a bank, building society or post office account you can use the Payment Exception Service to get your benefits.

Contact your local Jobcentre if you need this service.

Find out more about the Payment Exception Servicefrom GOV.UK.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help